I've been reading lots of "advice" on-line for artists and creatives... and believe me, there are many of them.
All of them tend to sport one main line of thought or another..and some have an agenda of sorts... but they all seem to list a few "essentials" when it comes to leaping out in faith and starting your own business or entrepreneurial path. And so, I have paraphrased them a bit.... consolidated them... and added a little of my own "bits".....
- Listen to yourself. After all, no one (not even your mother) knows YOU better than you.
- Remember to take care of yourself. Drink enough water, get enough sleep. Eat well. You can't conquer the world if you don't have the energy to get out of bed. And if you can't get out of bed; at least brush your teeth (just sayin)
- Concentrate on what is to come; not the scary thing at hand. One step at a time... even if it's a seemingly small step.
- Celebrate the small stuff. Every goal accomplished. Every item you can cross something off that list.
- Surround yourself/only listen to people who support you and encourage you. Haters are gonna hate. You don't need that. And remember that sometimes that includes that voice in your head as well.
- Don't fall into the trap of comparing yourself to anyone or anything. Probably the hardest thing for me personally.... and oh.... so necessary.
- You are more than what is in your bank account. I know that is really hard when your bank account looks like a lone serial killer... just waiting to pounce on you out of desperation... and seriously... I'm there too. But you (I) have to remember that success isn't measured in bank account balances, or CDs, or stocks or bonds.
“Your profession is not what brings home your paycheck.
Your profession is what you were put on earth to do.
With such passion and such intensity that it becomes spiritual in calling.”
—Vincent van Gogh